Every week I think “I’m going to do crockpot meals all week! They’re so easy, I’ll save so much time!” but then I don’t…
Today’s video is the first in (hopefully) a series of different crockpot meals I prepare for supper. You can watch the video below:
I found the recipe over at Cooking Classy.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red bell pepper (1 medium)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar or monterey jack, or Mexican blend cheese
- Diced avocados, diced Roma tomatoes, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, chopped green onions (optional)
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Pour mixture into a slow cooker.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder and cumin and season wtih salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on HIGH heat about 2 hours 45 minutes – 3 hours 15 minutes (cook time can vary because all slow cookers cook a little differently so just keep an eye on it near the end to make sure it’s neither getting soggy or drying out near the edges).
- Add corn, black beans and pinto beans and toss mixture. Even top then sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until heated through and cheese has melted about 10 – 15 minutes longer. Serve warm with desired toppings.
- Recipe source: inspired by Chelsea’s Messy Apron and Damn Delicious